INFANTRY "17th REGIMENT" OVERSEAS CAP
October 1935 pattern (M34), feldgrau wool/rayon blend construction cap with fold down side and back panels with gently sloping, downward scallops to the front and forward sides.
The front center of the cap has a hand sewn flat wire national eagle. The front center of the fold down panels has a hand stitched national tri-color bullion cockade.
The cap has an inverted "V" white soutache flanking the cockade. It has been applied in the correct manner, being machine sewn in place and inserted through two small puncture holes near the bottom edge of the cap.
There's on the front side a metallic skull with the typical shape of the traditional skulls used for the so called "Brunswick" regiment. Skull is attached with two prongs. A shadow is visible under the skull. The eyes sockets are red because on the back side of the skull was applied a piece of red wool, to give it a tougher appearance.
Alu bullion cord is still in place, showing a matching patina qirth the rest of the cap. Vent grommets are in place.
The interior of the cap is fully lined in ribbed rayon with leather sweatband on the frontal area.
A wonderful, with extremely nice patina, and very scarce overseas cap for an officer of one of the most famous Infantry Regiments of the Whermacht.